RP's City2Surf Tips
RP has raced every City2Surf since 1995 and also '84 and '85 before then - so he knows this event!
- Old jumper or shirt to keep warm at the start and put some spare gear to wear at the end in the gear drop.
- The first km is mad and you need to focus on staying upright and out of trouble. I have had people fall in front of me.
- LEFT tunnel its quicker
- First 5 km is quick but don’t over extend. 3km is at woollies Double Bay, 4km is the Rose Bay police station on the left and 5km is O’Sullivan road Rose Bay. Look for people to draft off along the long Rose Bay section (you save 20% drafting and this will come in handy later)
- Run race line and don’t just follow the bending road. Look up and ahead and run the most direct line to the next corner (this can be hard with crowds but will save you time overall)
- The second 5km is the most important part of this race and you have to work the hills but not blow up. 6km is at the bottom of Heart Break hill and it’s just over a km long. Use the footpaths to run race line and work your way up this hill.
- Towards the Top of Heart Break is 7km (half way) and you are almost at the top. Try and pick up the pace hear as you get a good flat 1km then at the roundabout you turn right and have a 1km downhill stretch that you need to run hard. 9km to 10km is one of the hardest kms of the race and most of it is uphill. RUN THIS KM HARD!!
- Just after the 10km mark the road flattens out and this is the time to put the foot down and head for home. You have 2km flat and 2km downhill. Run these as hard as you can.
- After you finish get your spare clothes, drink and enjoy Bondi
- Flyers meeting place is the lifeguard tower on the beach promenade.
Have a great run!